Kings County Profile
Kings County is home to major food processors, including Del Monte Foods, Leprino Foods, Marquez Brothers and OLAM Spices & Vegetable Ingredients. Naval Air Station Lemoore, home to the Navy’s newest strike fighter, the F-35C Lightning II, is located in Kings County. Recent arrivals include Faraday Future, the start-up ultra-luxury supercar manufacturer, and World Surf League / Kelly Slater Wave Co.’s Surf Ranch. Kings County is flanked by State Route 99 and Interstate 5, providing excellent logistical connections to California, the West Coast and the Pacific Rim. Providing rail service to Kings County businesses are the BNSF Railway and San Joaquin Valley Railroad. Amtrak currently provides rail service to Kings County, and California’s High Speed Rail will serve the county in the future.
Kings County Economy Overview
Total Regional Employment
Median Household Income
Top Employers 2020
|Company Name||Number of Employees|
|California State Prisons (SATF, Corcoran, Avenal)||4,259|
|Naval Air Station Lemoore||9,200|
|Kings County School Districts (14)||3,928|
|Corcoran State Prison (SATF)||2,053|
|County of Kings||1,471|
|Tachi Palace Hotel & Casino||1,340|
|J.G. Boswell Company||1,300|
|Del Monte Foods||1,100|
|Leprino Foods West||1,015|
|Olam Tomato Processors||1,000|
For Full List of Major Employers Click Here
Top Real Estate Deals 2020-21
- Helena Agri-Enterprises is undergoing a consolidation of their Kings County locations into Lemoore’s Kings River Business & Industry Park. The 31-acre site will be served by the San Joaquin Valley Railroad.
- Farm Lemoore LLC has broken ground on their 96-acre vertically integrated cannabis operation in the Lemoore Industrial Park.
- People’s Products has broken ground on their 195-acre cannabis grow south of the Lemoore Industrial Park.
- Westlands Solar Park has begun constructing 2 of 12 phases in western Kings County. The two projects total 400 MW on 2,950 acres. Their first phase, 250 MW on 2,527 acres, is well under construction.
- Central Valley Meat is underway on an expansion of its beef processing facility, increasing production three-fold. World Surf League / Kelly Slater Wave Company’s Surf Ranch was established in Lemoore and will be holding their second international surf competition as a World Surf League Championship Tour venue.
- Western Milling, a large animal feed business, has completed construction, in Hanford’s Kings Industrial Park, on their installation of two 2-million gallon plus tanks and 1,560 feet of rail spur for liquid fertilizer storage and distribution. A third 2-million gallon plus tank and a renewable natural gas filling station are in the plans.
- Nichols Farms, outside of Hanford, has finished a 105k sq. ft. expansion of their warehouse and production, while adding 16 nut silos and 15 nut dryers.
- Pitman Family Farms, a large grower and processor of chickens, turkeys, and ducks, purchased the Cargill grain facility in Hanford’s Kings Industrial Park and the adjacent 110 acres of land. The acreage is the site of a rail loop track and a new soybean processing mill was also added this last year. Pitman has now begun their expansion of their poultry farms in Kings County, increasing poultry barns from 593,800 s.f. to 2,344,500 s.f. and increasing chicken throughput from 685,000 per cycle to 2,620,000 per cycle.
- Foster Farms, a California poultry company, recently bought the Zacky poultry farms in Kings County and has launched into a major program of expanding the facilities and increasing chicken and turkey production.
- Tessenderlo Kerley, Inc. officially opened its sulfur-based liquid fertilizer mfg. and dist. facility on 46 acres in Hanford where 30 employees were hired. In 2018, TKI bought the adjoining 16 acres for future expansion. Last year, they completed construction on 4 new 1-million gallon tanks.
- The Tachi Yokut Tribe, south of Lemoore, recently completed their 90,000 square foot Coyote Entertainment enter offering an eight-screen movie theater, a 30-lane bowling alley, an arcade, and a night club.
- Bennett Water Systems, Kings County’s premier irrigation and water services company, and Gar Tootelian, Fresno County’s premier crop protection company, merged to form GAR Bennett, LLC bringing the Central California region a broad array of agricultural services through a one-stop experience.
- Pacifica Tiny Homes, a builder of spacious, affordable, and attractive tiny homes, has come to Corcoran to expand their manufacturing facilities to increase their construction output. The company has purchased a 4.6 acre parcel in the Crown Industrial Park in Corcoran to relocate their facilities. They have now doubled their construction capacity.
Highlights of Utility Infrastructure
- Pacific Gas & Electric provides utilities throughout the majority of the County.
- Southern California Edison serves a small part of the northern tip of the County.
- Southern California Gas provides gas to the county.
Local incentives can be negotiated on a project by project basis.
Examples of Unique Workforce Training Initiatives
- Kings EDC assisted with three major solar projects in the north end of the county. Through coordination with partner Kings County Job Training Office, JTO, more than $32,000 in subsidies was secured to support the projects, 70 new hires were referred to JTO for supportive services, 82 job seekers were referred to solar companies, and 150 Kings County residents attended a solar job fair hosted by JTO.
- Kings EDC worked alongside its partner agency, Kings County Job Training Office, JTO, to process grant applications for the Kings County COVID-19 Small Business Assistance Program. Of the 491 applications received from Kings County businesses, 347 were awarded with funding. Grant awards totaled $5,918,869 positively affecting 1,576 Kings County employees.