Kern County is often referred to as “The Golden Empire,” because of its rich history of gold, oil and agricultural production. Kern is the nation’s leading petroleum-producing county and consistently ranks among the top five agricultural counties in the United States. The county is host to major freeway systems, providing access across California and beyond! Kern has become the distribution hub for some of the world’s largest companies with over 50 distribution centers. It has the largest wind and solar projects in the world and is a 4 hour drive from 90% of state’s population. Kern is home to Mojave Air and Space Port, Edwards AFB, and China Lake Naval Air Weapons Center.
Top Private Employers
|Company Name||Number of Employees|
|American Honda Motor Co.|
|Bakersfield Memorial Hospital|
|C&J Energy Services|
|Marko Zaninovich Inc.|
|Mercy Hospital Bakersfield|
|Rio Tinto Minerals|
|Robertsons Ready Mix|
|San Joaquin Community Hospital|
|State Farm Insurance|
|WM Bolthouse Farms, Inc.|
Top Real Estate Deals of 2015-16
- Google opened a $145 million in an 82-megawatt SunEdison solar project on a former oil and gas field near Bakersfield.
- American Tire Distribution built a 1,000,000 sf distribution facility at Paramount Logistics Park in Shafter. The company had previously occupied a nearby 176,500-square-foot building.
- Sun Select Produce LLC. The hydroponic farming project is located near Tehachapi and consists of 132 acres. Four greenhouses are under construction with a planned 700 employees at build-out.
- Ross Dress for Less built a 1.7M sf distribution facility on 160 acres at the Paramount Logistics Park in Shafter. It will be open for operation in 2015 and employ 1,800 people. Completed
- MidAmerican Solar’s 579-megawatt Solar Star projects, consisting of two co-located projects in Kern and Los Angeles counties, are currently under construction. The power plant, near Rosamond, is scheduled for completion in 2015, and will be the largest solar farm in the world, employing 650 construction workers.
- The Outlets at Tejon, a 320,000-square-foot retail center, opened in August 2014. The $90 million outdoor mall is home to more than 70 stores and restaurants. The center will employ over 1,000 people.
- The Tehachapi Energy Storage Project is one of the largest battery storage systems in the world. The facility, which opened in September 2014, is capable of storing 32MWh of energy.
- The Fedex Distribution facility, completed construction on 240,000 sf facility in the Paramount Logistics Park in Shafter.
- Bakersfield Pipe and Supply’s facility is completed construction on 80,000 sf at Paramount Logistics Park in Shafter.
- CHEP Built 85,000 sf distribution facility at the North Meadows Business Park in Bakersfield, CA.