Kern County is often referred to as “The Golden Empire,” because of its rich history of gold, oil and agricultural production. Kern is the nation’s leading petroleum-producing county and consistently ranks among the top five agricultural counties in the United States. The county is host to major freeway systems, providing access across California and beyond! Kern has become the distribution hub for some of the world’s largest companies with over 50 distribution centers. It has the largest wind and solar projects in the world and is a 4 hour drive from 90% of state’s population. Kern is home to Mojave Air and Space Port, Edwards AFB, and China Lake Naval Air Weapons Center.
Top Private Employers
|Company Name||Number of Employees|
|American Honda Motor Co.|
|Bakersfield Memorial Hospital|
|C&J Energy Services|
|Marko Zaninovich Inc.|
|Mercy Hospital Bakersfield|
|Rio Tinto Minerals|
|Robertsons Ready Mix|
|San Joaquin Community Hospital|
|State Farm Insurance|
|WM Bolthouse Farms, Inc.|
Top Real Estate Deals of 2017-18
- Essendant Distribution, 400,000 sf under construction, 120 jobs located at the Wonderful Industrial Park, Shafter with estimated completion of March 2108.
- DMSI-leased a 350,000 sf facility at the Wonderful Industrial Park for a 3rd Party Warehouse and Service center.
- American Tire Distribution built a 1,000,000 sf distribution facility at Wonderful Logistics Park in Shafter. The company had previously occupied a nearby 176,500-square-foot building.
- MRC expansion is complete with an 85,000 sf facility located at Wonderful Industrial Park in Shafter, with an additional 15 employees.
- JimmyAsh purchased 35,000 sf food processing facility, with 60 employees.
- Prime Valley Warehouse, purchased a 150,000 sf facility for a manufacturing facility, 13 employees
- Central Valley Eggs, construction is completed with 80 employees
- Sun Select Produce LLC. The hydroponic farming project is located near Tehachapi and consists of 132 acres. Four greenhouses are operational with a planned 700 employees at build-out.
- Ross Dress for Less built a 1.7M sf distribution facility on 160 acres at the Wonderful Logistics Park in Shafter. It employs 1,100 people.
- MidAmerican Solar’s 579-megawatt Solar Star projects, consisting of two co-located projects in Kern and Los Angeles counties, are completed.
- The Fedex Distribution facility, completed construction on 240,000 sf facility in the Wonderful Logistics Park in Shafter with 115 employees.
- CHEP – Built 85,000 sf distribution facility at the North Meadows Business Park in Bakersfield, CA with 40 employees.